Rev. Robert L. Wietelmann, Biography

Rev. Robert L. Wietelmann will be always remembered fondly as the founding pastor of Good Shepherd Lutheran Church. 
Robert Louis Wietelmann was born on August 15, 1921, in Zanesville, OH. 
In 1943 Bob graduated from Capital University and Trinity Lutheran Seminary,
Columbus, OH (1946). In 1946 he was ordained into the Lutheran ministry at
Christ Lutheran Church, Struthers, OH (his home congregation). 
Pastor Wietelmann served as a mission developer in Flint, MI (1946), and on July 13, 1947
he was installed as the first resident pastor of Good Shepherd Lutheran Church. 
In 1961, after 14 dedicated years of ministry, Pastor Wietelmann left Good Shepherd, leaving behind many lifelong friends and memories. Pastor Wietelmann became an assistant to President of the Michigan District of the American Lutheran Church (1961-1967) and then went on to become President (Bishop) of the Michigan District (1967-1978).
Upon leaving the Michigan District office he returned to Pastoring another congregation, yet another Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, this time in  Kettering, OH (1978-1983). 
After retirement he provided interim or assisting ministry
to eight congregations throughout Ohio. 
In his 65 years of ministry Bob served the community and church in many ways,
including scout leader, probation officer, local clergy associations,
district and national church committees.
In 1968 he received an honorary Doctor of Divinity Degree from Capital University.
In 1970 he was a delegate to the Lutheran World Federation Assembly in Evian, France. 
From 1976-1980 Bob was a member and co-chairman of the
National Lutheran/Episcopal Dialogue II.
 

In 1973, a sabbatical provided him the opportunity to visit and witness the work of the Lutheran World Federation Churches
throughout the world. This strongly influenced his interest and concern for the global witness and social mission of the Church.
He remained a faithful servant of our Lord until he entered eternal life on December 21, 2011. 

In January of 2012, the congregation of Good Shepherd Lutheran Church decided to honor Pastor Wietelmann

by establishing a scholarship fund in his name.
This fund will provide financial assistance to students who are also faithful active members
of their ELCA congregations for many years to come. 

Donations to the Wietelmann Scholarship Fund are welcome
and may be sent to Good Shepherd Lutheran Church,
814 N. Campbell, Royal Oak, MI 47067 (attn. Scholarship).

Applications are available on this website.